Monday, February 13, 2023

Letters In A Box

 In past blog posts I've shown letters that my Dad wrote my Mom when he was in WWII overseas.  Well, a few days ago I came across a few letters of my own.  I hadn't looked at them in years and I dusted off the boxes and gazed inside. These weren't letters from Dad, but a few cards to me from my Grandma and my Aunt Gwen.  Both have left this world years ago and re-reading these notes brought them back for a little visit just for me. Also in the box was an old fashioned hand held fan and some hankies...one that was tatted from my Grandma.  Tatting is an old skill not done too often today.  I also found the box with letters Mom wrote to me in December of 2008.  She took a week and wrote some things for me about when I was born, and other memories of growing up in our neighborhood back in the day.  She didn't mail these to me but put them in a box and secretly left the box in the guest room when visiting.  I found it after she had left and re-reading them today brought tears to my eyes.  I miss her every day but knowing she and Dad and all other family members...my Grandma and Aunt Gwen too...are all together, makes me smile. 

I like to think my blog is like a letter to my kids of what I was doing these past 15yrs since starting it in February, 2008.   However, maybe a written letter that is personal just to them would be something to do and give them one day.  I know how much these letters to me have meant and will lovingly store them back in their boxes to be enjoyed on another day when I just need a little visit from family.  Many people will get Valentine's Day cards tomorrow.  These were mine today. 

5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

This is beautiful, dear friend. I can feel, from this side of the screen, what an emotion-charged experience it was for you to open that box of old letters and review them. I don't know precisely what your grandma, aunt and mother wrote to you, but I can imagine the kinds of things they would want to say to someone like you, the little girl they watched grow into an outstanding citizen of her community and her country. The very thought of you reading their words has me misty. In this age of pokes and tweets and upvotes and likes, the lost art of letter writing is sometimes forgotten. Thank goodness for the older generations who took the time and made the effort to sit down and express themselves with pen and paper, writing words straight from the heart. Far better than words printed on an electronic screen, those handwritten words on tangible documents will be treasured by your family forever. Like the letters your father wrote to your dear mother when he was serving in WWII, the musings, messages and expressions of love contained in your cherished box of letters are indeed like visits from departed family members. They reach out to you and touch your heart with love that never dies.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment with us, dear friend YaYa. Once again, happy Valentine's Day to you and Jack!

Julia said...

How thoughtful of your mother to leave you personal letters. Such a sweet and loving gesture. People seldom write letters now. My mom left the family with her memories journals and my sister photocopied every pages of her journals and send them to us. Some were memories I remember and others were new to me but it was such a gift.

Thanks for sharing this sweet tidbit.

Happy Valentine's Day'
Hugs,❤️ 💐
Julia

Prims By The Water said...

How nice to have these letters from your mom. A sweet gesture on her behalf. Memories you can re-read whenever you choose. I failed miserably trying to tat one time. Janice

acorn hollow said...

What a wonderful gift to have those to take out and reread. I have nothing like that but have kept all the letters my daughter wrote to me when she was away at camp and college.
I hope she reads them years from now with great memories.
Happy Valentines day
Cathy

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such precious treasures those letters are. I love that your mum wrote to you and left the letters for you to find. I think I would have liked your mother very much. ~Robin~