Sunday, September 4, 2022

Happy Labor Day weekend!  I could say happy Labor Day but that's tomorrow I guess. I don't know if you have any grand plans but I know we don't! Just hanging around doing "stuff" since it's suppose to rain again. We had some torrential downpours today but Annabelle and I just came back from a walk while the skies cleared for a bit.  Our temps aren't hot..only 71 today but the humidity is a killer! It brings the mosquitoes out and makes working or playing outdoors a challenge.  I'm looking forward to a break in that but probably not happening this weekend.  I have to give a Happy Birthday shout out to Craig...#2 son in Oregon.  We'll be seeing him in a few weeks when he goes on a business trip to Chicago. We'll drive out and spend time with Midge and him for a few days.  We haven't seen him in over a year.  Our trips out west were cancelled when health issues and Covid complicated things and then the gathering we were going to do in June in Chicago was cancelled because of schedules and my sister's surgery.  So we're looking forward to seeing him and hopefully we can plan a trip out there soon.

Craig was a  happy little guy!
Then there was that hair! Oh my!  Now he keeps it very short so no more curly locks!
Now he's a real grown up...45 yrs. old today! Yikes!  Time has flown. He's a wonderful son, husband and father.  He has a really good sense of humor and a way that draws folks to him.  Happy Birthday Craig! Love you!   September has arrived and brought thoughts of Fall and harvest...
This little sign is on the computer desk but I have other "signs" that remind me of harvest:
Canned goods from the garden! Carrots, tomatoes, and homemade spaghetti sauce will join the green beans on the shelves.  Soon applesauce will appear after a visit to the orchard. No apples came on our tree this year...very sad!
Red berries have appeared on the Dogwood trees.
The Buckeye tree is always the first to show some color.  Kind of like teasing us that Fall is soon here.
This probably is the real first of Fall...pumpkin spice in everything including this icecream.  Frankly, it was pretty good! (If you like that sort of thing!)  I don't drink coffee so I get my pumpkin spice this way.
I have some of these little milk jars that I've saved and thought they would make cute centerpieces.  So as you can see, the Pines is gearing up for the coming season. We had a nice summer and it flew by quick. Working has taken up some time that I might have spent doing more things outdoors but it was my choice to return part time and so far it's worked out.  Not sure if that will be my choice next summer however.  So for now I'll just say hello to September and enjoy the change of seasons soon to come in all it's glory! 






7 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy Happy Birthday to Craig! What a handsome one he is...but, oh, I LOVE those curls!! It seems you are managing to get a lot done even though you are back working. I remember the chore of canning, canning and more canning. But oh how I miss that goodness now. It is chilly here...woke to 39º this morning... I think we got close to 70 when the sun came out, but it only felt warm in the full sun on the southern side of the house. No humidity here to give even the illusion of warmer temps. Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend...no plans here either. I haven't had plans in a long time LOL. ~Robin~

jack69 said...

Have a get day, enjoyed the family pics. SWEET!

Julia said...

Happy Birthday to your handsome son. I'm glad that you'll be seeing your sister Midge and your son Greg soon. I just came back from a trip visiting my family and burying my brother.

I love canning and preserving food but after a while, I got tired of all the hard work
but I know it will be very welcome when the snow flies.


I've got nothing special planned to celebrate Labor Day but I'll be baking and freezing squash tomorrow. I may make a pumpkin pie if I feel energetic enough.
Take care,
Hugs, Julia

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Once again, happy birthday to your son Craig out there in Oregon, Portland. Craig was indeed a cute and happy little boy, and he still has that winning smile. Congratulations, Craig, on reaching the 45 year mark of your life journey! I didn't realize it's been so long since you last saw Craig. I hope the meet-up at Midge's place in Chicago can take place w/o a hitch. Just remember: where there's Midge... there's Hope. :)

You aren't the only one who's been getting rain. After months of dry conditions, the rains came to Florida this past week. We had big storms that produced several inches of rain. As a result, our property was under more flood water than at any time since the hurricanes of the mid 2000s.

Yessum, Mrs. Shady has been canning like crazy, too. We have shelf after shelf of preserves. I love to see the decorative touches around your house as the seasons change and the holidays come and go. Those rustic milk jar centerpieces are delightful. It'll soon be time to get that H-ween witch out of the moth balls. I don't think I ever tasted pumpkin spice ice cream, but now you have me "hangry" (so hungry I'm angry) for some! :) It's magic to see the grounds of The Pines undergoing a slow transformation to autumn. Please keep taking those pictures of your trees and shrubs.

I wish you and your wonderful family a safe, happy and restful Labor Day and a wonderful week ahead, dear friend YaYa!

Prims By The Water said...

Fun displays using the canning jar. Happy belated birthday to your handsome boy! Janice

acorn hollow said...

Happy birthday to your son. You have been more than busy with your canning and gardening.
I haven't had one thing pumpkin spice yet and it is my favorite! Happy fall I know it is your favorite time of year too.
Cathy

Willow said...

I saw your comment on Deb's blog and read that you are from Ohio. I live about 80 due south of you (moved here from SoCal two years ago).
Here's to a wonderful autumn season!