Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Late Easter Greetings

I usually do post Easter happenings here at the Pines but since we didn't do the regular Easter happenings I really didn't have much to post about.  I miss the traditions we usually do but there will be another Easter and maybe we'll be able to have some fun in May.  Seems like a little light is shining at the end of this crazy virus tunnel. Curves are flattening, cases are down, social distancing seems to be working.  I just know that I'm really over it.  I shouldn't be complaining since I'm not at home all day, I'm actually out in public. That can be a bad thing too since the public I'm around are in the hospital or doctor office. But we're good so far and I hope I'm helping in some way. In my real job I don't usually talk much to patients since they are typically getting ready to fall asleep before surgery.  Mingling with the public that's awake has opened my eyes.  I realize the pajama wearing crowd isn't just at Wal-Mart.  Nope, folks come in to see the doctor, go get lab work done, or x-rays in pj's, flip flops, slippers, dirty clothes, bedhead hair, bad attitudes and frequently forget to put in their hearing aides. I have to ask 3 questions when I'm screening patients: (1) Have you been out of the country in the last 2 weeks?  So far nobody has left the USA. I'm glad because I can't imagine going on a cruise with Christmas fuzzy pajama bottoms and an old t-shirt on.  (2) Do you have flu symptoms today?  So far everyone says no...even the ones that are coughing, look like crap, and say: "No, I just have pneumonia and my Covid test hasn't come back yet"...oh and they aren't wearing a mask. (3) Have you been around anyone who has had Covid 19 in the last 30 days?  So far only one person said yes.  Well, at first they said no then said that they've only been around their daughter who tested positive but that was just to leave food at her doorstep.  Huh?  After taking their temperatures I let them enter in.  I've only had one guy who had a temp. I consulted with the powers that be and because he was feeling fine we let him get his lab work done.  I also gave him a mask and told him to monitor his temp and be on the lookout for flu symptoms.  Yes, I have my favorite phrase going through my head daily...:I LIKE PEOPLE...UNDER GENERAL ANESTHESIA!" Yesterday I was on call and we did have 7 surgeries scheduled.  I was on the bowel resection that took 6 hours and was glad they let another team work so it wasn't a repeat of last Tuesday where we were there until the next morning.  Life is going on and I'm sure we will be getting permission to lighten up on lock downs.  I miss my coworkers. I miss doing my job in surgery.  I miss lunch.  I miss my regular routine.  But so many folks are not working, or getting a paycheck, or are sick so I have nothing to whine about. Forgive me! I hope everyone had a nice Easter even if it was a bit unconventional. I made my lamb cake as I showed on my last post and then I made 2 more to give away:
A little herd!
I made a new recipe of chocolate chip cookies.  They are Joanna Gaines's  recipe. I took them to work today and I guess they liked them.  That's what they said anyway!
Did my first mowing of the season.  It felt good last week when it was warm.  We had snow today so I'm thinking it might be next week before it gets cut again.
Last of the daffodils. The cold and time have ended their season. It was nice to see them and welcome in Spring.
I'm not sure if Arnold is getting fatter or just fluffier.  Anyway, I did get to talk to my Mom on Easter and will be talking to her again tomorrow.  She's hanging in there, still a bit confused and asks if she's ever going home. It's been a struggle for her to be isolated from all she knew and hopefully she'll hold out until we can come and see her and also get her home with some home health care. Midge continues to get dialysis and is doing good so far too.  I'm glad she's been home.  Mom has asked about the dogs and doesn't know that we had to get them a new home.  They are living with a nice family. It was a hard decision for my sister to make but necessary all the same.  Take care everyone. I can still say Happy Easter since this weekend is Greek Orthodox Easter.  We used to celebrate both Easters when I was younger.  So Easter Greetings to all...stay safe, stay healthy, and wash your hands!

13 comments:

Kathy said...

It certainly was a different Easter. I love your lamb cakes. Just perfect for the season. I was going to try to make Joana Gaines' cookies too. Now I really will have to make them. They look so good.

Dealing with the public is a real adventure. I remember it so well from when I was working. You never know what to expect.

Stay safe. You have a hard job.

joeh said...

Stay safe, you are brave to put yourself in harms way everyday. I get nervous getting the mail.

betty said...

I pray daily for health care workers these days. Such a tough job! Totally agree about having to re home the dogs. Hard to do but necessary for everyone including the dogs. I woke up hopeful this morning. I am hoping that means life will open up a bit and although it may be a new normal it will be nice to go back to fin things we used to do before this began. Hang in there and stay safe!

Betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Thanks for the Easter 2020 recap, dear friend. It's the strangest Easter I've experienced in my 70 years. It's true that we never miss our normal routine until it is interrupted and our daily lives change. You and Mrs. Shady have the same outlook regarding patients. She doesn't like dealing with conscious ones or their family members. :) She should talk. When she broke her ankle in the early 2000s and spent time in a hospital bed, she was the patient from hell, grouchy as can be. I can't believe so many people look dirty, sloppy or are wearing pajamas when they come in for medical treatment. I always rent a tux. :) I pray you stay safe from infection dealing face-to-face with so many strangers. You are a heroine.

I like the flock of lambs resting on your dinner table. Those cookies would go great with the cup of coffee I am drinking at this moment. I could eat them all! Your lawn is lush and green. Ours is brown from the increasingly hot Florida sun and the long spring dry season. We need to run the sprinklers regularly.

I ache inside knowing that your mother remains confused about her situation and yours. Having family at her bedside would surely speed her recovery and she is denied that benefit. I hope your phone conversations will enlighten her and that she will soon be up and out. I am sorry you needed to give her dogs to another family. Glad Midge is doing AOK. My big brother turns age 81 today and another very important birthday observance is coming up two days from now on Saturday at Shady's Place. I'm sure you remember whose it is. Blessings to you and your family as you celebrate Greek Orthodox Easter.

Stay safe and well, dear friend YaYa!

acorn hollow said...

WE have promised to have Easter even if we have to wait with the egg hunt the whole thing.
I hope you stay safe and healthy while out there helping the masses.
cathy

jack69 said...

Thanks for the read and update from the Pines. OUCH about the long surgeries. WE in the waiting rooms don't think of that a lot, just the dude under general anesthesia, LOL.
Be safe and take care (Like you need to be told by a neophyte! LOL)
Sherry & jack in North Carolina.

Kay G. said...

Oh my dear, put those people UNDER!!
Please stay safe! I am praying for the day that we can say that this is all over.
Just typing that, makes me feel better...when this is all over.
xx

Prims By The Water said...

Lately I have been working 10 hours days and Easter weekend, and I can tell you this old lady is exhausted. I cannot complain too much as I have a job too! Stay safe and healthy since you are on the front line and I am at home. Janice

Julia said...

Oh, the sights that you have described makes me cringe. I can see why you are anxious to go back to your old surgery schedule.
I love your little lamb cakes.
Your grass is so green. It will be a little while before our is ready to cut but I have some daffodils in bloom in a sheltered spot in the back of the house. The others are just peeking out of the ground. I'm still praying for your mom and Midge and I'm glad that they are both OK despite the circumstances.
Hugs, Julia



jack69 said...

After that comment on the Shipslog, I came back to say, that Jack is so stinking lucky, TOWELS make the BEST rags!!!! LOL Y'all enjoy Spring... ans the smell of fresh cut grass!

CHERI said...

I have been praying for all medical workers...my sister is a nurse in a pretty big hospital. I honestly don't know how all of you do what you are doing. Sounds like you have met some "interesting" characters. I was encouraged by your statement that y'all are flattening the curve. My little town is up to 13 cases...only 8 the other day so it concerns me that we have jumped up that many. I know it's not anything compared to a lot of places, but it's 13 too many!!! I will be so very happy and so very, very, very thankful when this whole mess is over!!! Take care...I'll be praying for you:)

Job Pedro said...

FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUSI thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because lifebecame meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, thesymptoms became very severe and bold and made my familyrun from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because thedoctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me makingit worse. I was doing some research online someday when Icame across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhotacured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent mehis herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after twoweeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I wasNEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DREbhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep ontelling the world about you. If you are going through samesituation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota viadrebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosu

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542