Thursday, March 14, 2019

This Week

 I was trying so hard to think of a clever title for this post.  I wanted something that would grab everyone's attention, draw you into my web of boring.  But this was all I could think of.  It's late and I'm probably going to regret not going to bed ASAP since I'm on call, but I felt the need to post.  So here's just a few quick thoughts about this week.
#1...TGIF tomorrow.  I'm really over the work thing for some reason.
#2....I saw this story in our local newspaper. I'm sure it was suppose to be a real "feel good" story but I just thought to myself...What?
The article is about Ashland High School selling coffee at the school in the morning.  It's run by the special needs kids that are learning a skill. Like being a barista I guess. Most of the coffees are the sweet, whip cream, sprinkle kind. Why are they selling legal stimulants to kids? Did you drink coffee in high school?  Maybe you did.  I know I would have if we had a coffee bar in the foyer. (hand over the whip cream and sprinkles please!)  I know the kids are learning about working and money and other useful skills.  I'm just perplexed about selling coffee at school. But I don't drink it so I probably don't understand why they do it.  It's better than the useless money making stuff kids usually sell. (Over priced candy and wrapping paper anyone?)  I asked my son Craig if Katie has a coffee bar at her high school.  He said no but they are in Portland, Oregon so they probably sell legal marijuana. Makes sense.
#3...Can you say "WARM"?
My car thermometer on the way home today...73 degrees! Actually, it went up to 74.  Flip flop weather!  But can you tell me what rhymes with "WARM"?
STORM rhymes with warm and we had the sky that, thankfully, looked worse than it was.  We had wind warnings out and the perfect weather for tornadoes.  But all's good tonight.
It passed by quickly and now the cool down comes. Snow is a possibility over the weekend.  Go figure. Anyway, Spring is a week away and we can quit persecuting that poor groundhog Phil.  Mother Nature is a fickle woman.  Especially in Ohio.  Night All!

9 comments:

betty said...

You guys were warmer today in Ohio than we were in Phoenix. Something is not right there :) (but we are to be about 85 degrees next week).

That would be scary with the possibility of tornadoes, glad the sky "calmed" down a bit.

I agree with you about perhaps selling coffee is not the best thing at a high school, though I can also see their reasoning in that probably a lot of kids go to Starbucks anyway so why not have something at school that can potentially be a learning experience for some of the students.

Hope you don't get called in!

betty

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

A clever title for your post about the student run school coffee shop would have been Rising Star Bucks. :) To answer your question, no, my school did not sell coffee, but there were vending machines in the cafeteria that sold items that were much more harmful - sodas and candies and salty/fatty snacks. It wouldn't surprise me if schools started selling legal marijuana. What's next, a school cigar bar? An in-house liquor lounge for students who want to unwind after taking a tough exam?

Mother nature giveth, and mother nature taketh away. That's spring up north. Down here she is much more consistent. It's warm and getting a little warmer every day, and I'm taking about 80s warmth (+ humidity). Your big girl camera snapped a great picture of that threatening cloud formation. I'm glad it didn't bring any rough stuff to your vicinity.

Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend YaYa!

Gin said...

I like your 73 degrees! Yes schools have changed drastically overnight it seems.

Julia said...

Maybe the school is trying to wake up the students, who knows? I love my morning cup of coffee when I wake up in the morning.
I'm glad you didn't have a violent storm. We are having some rain and the snow is going down. I'm so glad to see the level go down.
You sound tired and it's probably almost time to retire. Yay, Spring is around the corner.
Take care, Hugs, Julia

acorn hollow said...

We got home from vacation yesterday and it was 60 today in NH a minor miracle. I did not drink coffee in school and neither did my daughter but we both drink it now one or two cups in the am. She teaches and says that kids 7 and 8 come in with a coffee in the morning I am shocked by that but like she said they don't get put to bed when they should lots of parents just don't want to be a parent if I hear "my kid is my best friend" one more time I am going to scream and they are talking about a 5 or 6 year old. A parents job is to be a parent not their friend! ok off the soap box
I know what you mean about working.
Cathy

joeh said...

I could have used coffee in HS to keep awake.

ming said...

My mother gave me half coffee half milk, sweetened of course, starting when I was five. She thought it was a way to get me to drink milk because I hated it, worked I guess. So, I've drank coffee everyday for 65 years excluding the one 9 month pregnancy. The sweetening stopped in my twenties as well as the the milk, straight black taste better.

CHERI said...

I can't imagine a school selling coffee!!! I have never heard of that in our area. And, NO, I never drank coffee in high school or college. Actually didn't start until a few yrs. after I started teaching. I convinced myself that if everybody else headed immediately to the coffee pot in the teacher's lounge, there must be a good reason why. But I really don't like coffee unless it's a flavored kind with lots of creamer & sugar!!! I do like a good latte or capucino though, especially Pumpkin Spice:) I have always loved to write and am probably average/sometimes above average, but thinking up TITLES has always been difficult for me...so I totally understand your dilemma.

Christina said...

Dang, those clouds do look scary! I think you're over the work thing because you can see the light of retirement at the end of the tunnel! I also think that's crazy to give kids coffee/caffeine, especially at school when it's hard enough to sit in seats all day. Did they not weigh out all of the options? So weird.