Monday, September 2, 2024

Milestones, Memories, Family, And Fun

 I hadn't posted much in August but the last couple of weeks were busy and fun filled.  We were busy getting ready for our kiddos in Oregon to make a visit.  It was a short but very sweet time.  They came to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.  We didn't want a huge party and I know my sister and our good friend, Bryn, were disappointed.  But it's quite a lot of work to get all that done whether it was us doing it or them and when it's a huge crowd you don't really get to enjoy everyone.  So they said, OK, and we just had our boys, some of the Grandkiddos that could make it and our friend Bryn.  My sister had just been here and will come again in October with her kids so we'll party with them in a few weeks.  Time is flying by and these past 50yrs sure did!  Last Wednesday Craig came ahead of his family.  Amy, Sophie and Katie came on Friday because it was Sophie's first week of school and she couldn't miss that whole week.  Everyone from Oregon arrived via the friendly skies and it was a great time!  On Saturday the kids did all the work from decorating to cooking and if you know me that was hard and weird to not have a big hand in all the planning.  They did great though.  Here's a few pics of their work:

The guys, Jackie, Craig, Jordan, and Phil set up the cooking station in the garage since it was a little rainy outside.  They made hamburgers, (my request!) and brats along with pasta salad that Evelyn made, fruit salad Bryn made and potato salad that agreed I could make.  Added with chips and extras it was delish.  Phil took charge of the dessert which was key lime cheesecake (Jack loves Key lime) and double chocolate cheesecake to make me smile!
My gosh they were amazing and so gooodddd!!  He didn't bake them, he has a friend who makes these but we gave him all the credit for their yummyness!
The girls doing the prep!  That's my granddaughter, Sophie in front of the island, Amy my daughter-in-law and my granddaughter, Katie next to her with the "50" above her head.  Thanks girls, you did great!
The dining room set with it's gold lame' table cloth, flowers and happy anniversary sign.
Kitchen fireplace decked out with lots of gold
I put together a little poster board on the dining room buffet.  
The sign on the fence was cute but my transplanted hostas look ready to call it a season!
Jack and I in our "Golden together 50yrs" t-shirts.  
The kids gave us this metal sign they had made.  It can go inside or out but for now it will stay here. We also got a super cute blanket with all the info on what was happening in 1974.  You could buy a house for $36,000 then and now you can't get a car for that! Crazy.  I know everyone always is amazed at how time goes by and all the living that's done in those years.  We have such a great family and many good friends that we cherish.  When I put the following pic on the poster I couldn't help but wonder if that young, 21yr old, had any idea what life had in store.  Of course she didn't as none of us do but I will thank my Heavenly Father for the blessings and even the trials we've gone through to this point in life.  It's been lessons learned, love shared, tears shed from laughter to sorrow and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  To my siblings who sent us a sweet card with some cash to enjoy something special to my kids for putting up with us all these years and sharing this day, THANKS SO MUCH AND WE LOVE YOU ALL!
Mirror, mirror on the wall, you have no idea at all!
Crazy kids!
First dance but not the last!
A cool ride to head to the future.  Happy Anniversary Jack!  Love you forever!


4 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

I'm back to once again say congratulations and happy 50th anniversary! (I'm glad you remembered to take pictures of the celebration. :) The pics reveal a wonderful and loving family that has evolved over the last five decades and a couple genuinely blessed to have crossed paths, fallen in love and chosen to make a lifelong commitment to each other back in 1974. It was heartwarming to see the family members that attended your anniversary party and the vintage pictures of how it all began. I swear you looked as good as Suzanne Pleshette, Sophia Loren or any of those other striking brunette movie stars of the period. In fact, you still do, and Jack is as dashing and debonaire as he ever was. Those cheesecakes make my mouth water. Did you ever dream you'd be posting "cheesecake pics" on your blog, dear friend? :) The banners and sign created in your honor are stunning. I only wish, as do you, that your dear mother and other departed family members could have lived to see this magnificent day. May you and Jack enjoy many, many more years of wedded bliss, dear friend YaYa!

I will be returning with a new post at Shady's Place this Thursday and invite you to join the fun if you can. Until then, continue to bask in the afterglow of this joyous celebration as you and Jack mark 50 years together as a married couple!

Prims By The Water said...

Happy 50th wedding anniversary to you both! What a wonderful party you had even if the whole gang were not able to come in and celebrate. The decorations were fabulous to match the fabulous couple. The meal looked delish. Glad you were able to take some pics of it to share with those who come in next month. You and Jack made a cute couple back in the day and you both look fantastic today! Janice

jack69 said...

Trying to catch up. Good visit, 50 years now seem a miracle. `Congratulations to your guys.' You have a wonderful family something to be thankful for even proud of.
Yeah, the cost thing is mind blowing. yep a house price is so out there along with the car costing what a house used to. True dat.
Anyway just wanted to say, the best to you guys. We are in NC for a couple weeks then back on the road we hope....

Julia said...

So sorry I've missed your 50th Anniversary. Happy Belated Anniversary to both of you. You were such a pretty bride then and you still are and I'm so happy that you and your charming prince are still together after all these years.
I love that special metal sign.
I'm sure Jack think that you are a precious jewel and you think the same of him. Here's to many more years together. Hugs...

Julia