Saturday, September 25, 2021

Festival Season

 When Fall arrives so does festival season.  Festivals, craft shows, county fairs, you name it and we have it. We skipped the fair this year but managed to make a quick stop at a little Amish festival that featured log home building.  Forgetting my phone and camera had me bummed.  Jack's phone took the pics but my computer wouldn't download them so no go with that fun stop.  The temps this week have fallen into the crisp, cool, and lovely range for going to outdoor events. This weekend is Jack's 50th high school reunion. He went last night to a meet and greet and then to the homecoming football game.  I sat that one out and did outside work here at the Pines instead.  Sitting in the bleachers on a chilly night isn't on my fun scale but I know he enjoyed it and meeting with old classmates again. Tonight is a gathering again but it's indoors and that's one I'll go for!  My 50th is also this year but it's next month and I decided not to make the trip to Chicago at this time.  One of the festivals cancelled last year was on for this year and this weekend so we decided to head down to Malabar Farm State Park for the activities.  We've gone many times in the past and enjoyed the vendors, the outdoor reenactments of  Civil War and Revolutionary War. There were many vendors selling all kinds of things from crafts to food. This time I did have my phone so I was able to capture the moments. 

Malabar Farm was the home of Louis Bromfield. He was an author and conservationist and won a Pulitzer Prize for one of his novels.(That's Jack on the bench..not Louis! Ha!)  He was a good friend of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall who got married at Malabar.  I even went on a ghost hunt at Malabar! But today it was just walking around and enjoying a Fall morning and seeing the sights.
The front steps to the "Big House" as it's called. Very pretty with all it's flowers.
All the mums looked lovely too.
One of the tents set up in the camping area where the folks doing the reenactments stay. Hmmm....looks like lunch is roasting on the spit! 
Music can be heard all over and this man sure played a mean bagpipe!
The costumes were really well done.  I know folks put a lot of money and time into being realistic for these activities.
Of course Jack usually meets somebody he knows! This gentleman's wife used to work in Jack's Chiropractic office.  He also does Civil War reenactments. 
Beware of getting lost in the woods...you never know who'll you'll run into!

Perhaps you'll find Abe Lincoln checking out the troops.
It would be more fun to find the smokehouse where the hams are getting ready for tasting!  As you would expect, the air smells heavenly with all the campfires and food cooking outdoors.
Here's another home at Malabar. It has a famous history also.  Of course it's also haunted. It the Ceely Rose house and she murdered her family.  I learned all about her on my ghost hunt a few years ago! 
You can go from one end of the farm to the other by horse drawn wagons.  We walked down to the vendors but took a nice ride back since it was all uphill from there!
Speaking of vendors....many crafters were featured and I had to snap a pic of these hooked rugs for my "hooker" blog buddies! There were tons of wool to buy and many patterns also. I know they would have enjoyed this booth!
This farm/State Park is beautiful.  The area around here is super beautiful when the leaves are changed. It was a fun morning and although I didn't buy much we did enjoy our time today.
My big purchase?  A little witch named "Agnes".  She was only $5! A steal, right?  She'll fit right in my Halloween witch collection.  We had a nice lunch outdoors and then headed for home.  The day just was perfect to start our Fall adventures as Jack would say. I made a pumpkin pie after we got home and that just seals the deal for that "Fall" smell throughout the house!  Have a good weekend everyone!


5 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

I am happy to know that you are enjoying some crisp early autumn weather up there and that you and Jack made it over to an Amish festival and to Malabar Farm State Park where you witnessed reenactments of the Civil War and Revolutionary War, a piper and more. It's cool that you once went on a ghost hunt at this event. I'm glad you took your camera along. Those flowers are gorgeous and I enjoyed seeing the authentic soldier costumes and Honest Abe inspecting the troops. I'm not sure I'd want to go on a midnight tour of the Ceely Rose murder house (especially alone). I love riding in horse drawn wagons. Fall hayrides are the best. I'm going to show Mrs. Shady the pic of the booth with hooked rugs because she's into that kind of crafting. Mrs. S and I would have loved being there at Malabar experiencing all those sights, smells and activities. A while back, we went to a Renaissance Festival down here in West Central Florida where they had jousting exhibitions plus kiosks with glass blowing, alchemy, smiths, carpentry, falconry and other ancient occupations, disciplines and activities. It was fun and educational.

Yessum, at only $5, Agnes the witch was a steal of a deal, and a great addition to your H-ween decorations. I can almost smell your pumpkin pie coming through the screen. The aroma of a pumpkin pie turns a house into a home.

I am also happy to learn that Jack is attending his 50th h.s. reunion festivities before having to turn his attention to medical matters this coming week. You and he are in my thoughts and prayers. Bless you, dear friend YaYa!

TheCrankyCrow said...

What great fall adventures!!! You are blessed to have a husband who enjoys going along. I have heard so very much about Malabar Farms...I have always wanted to go, but now that you said there are ghost tours, it has seriously moved up on "the list." I am not familiar with the Ceely Rose house/case. I will definitely be doing some sleuthing. We have had some nice fall weather here as well...lucky the weather "turned" a bit and we escaped the hard frost...just a light nipping frost and by no means widespread. Fall is lingering this year it seems...and that is fine by me. Last evening, though, was nasty....cold, cold rain and a brutal wind. ~Robin~ (PS...just a thought, but maybe Jack could send the photos on his phone to your phone...and you could then download them?)

jack69 said...

We enjoyed the visit, history and the very good photos. Love this time of the year.
The best to you and your Jack nice to see him on a bench, some folks think us jacks stay in a box.
Sherry & jack
PS: Ahh Jack is getting old the 50th reunion. ;-)

Julia said...

What a lovely tour even without all the photos that you couldn't download on your computer. It sounds like you both enjoyed yourself and ran into Abraham Lincoln. I wonder what he thinks of the way the world is going now.

I sure hope that you can figure out how to show us those pictures that you couldn't download.

I've enjoyed going to my husband's 40th, and 50th highschools reunions as I knew lots of his friends and I found that some had aged well while others, not so well and many had passed away. Every now and then, we are made aware of when another classmate has died. That's what happens when we get old.

Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Well I love ghost tours and re-enactments! How fun! Your witch was a steal. Janice