Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Hello September

 September 1st.  As we slip out of Summer and ease into Fall the first few weeks give us just a taste of the season that is beloved by many...including me.  The air takes on a different feel and the foliage starts to slowly turn colors.  The gardens quiet down and the canning season winds up.  I  think September is like a new coloring book just waiting for Mother Nature to get out her crayons and fill in the blanks.  The end of August brought us sadness as we said goodbye to our little Arnie.  But it also brought smiles as Jack and I celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary yesterday.  

Jack surprised me with a lovely bouquet of red roses. I love them! I felt bad that I didn't get him anything until he  pointed out the Halloween Oreos I just brought home from the store.  Gotta love a man who doesn't ask for much!  A quiet dinner out was a nice way to end the day. Happy Anniversary Babe!  Today we went to the funeral of a good friend.  We met him and his family at  our Church right after we moved here in 1977.  We have a lot of memories of our time with him and family over the years.  He'd been struggling with his health the past few years and was in lots of pain and we know he's gone on to a happier and restful place. We helped with the luncheon afterwards and were very ready to head home and rest a bit!  After a simple supper I took my camera and headed to the woods.  Our temps have cooled down so nicely and the humidity has left.  Temps in the 50's will have the windows open tonight.  Here are a few pics of this golden month with the blank coloring book just getting started to be  filled in with color.

The buckeye tree is usually the first to start to turn. The red leaves do stick out next to that buckeye.

Up closer to the Creepy Woods these trees are already shedding some leaves.

The view from the back! 
Along the paths in the woods you'll find black walnuts...careful where you step or you could go sliding!

It is a lovely path to follow.  I enjoy taking these quiet walks before I get chased out by the mosquitoes! All that has happened here at home and all over the world can make one sad and feel like nothing is going right.  But I can't deny the beauty of the day.  The beauty of the seasons changing.  The knowledge that all is not lost or bad.  Good people abound.  We will see those we love who have passed away again someday...including all our pets who have gone to heaven.  My walk had me stopping at the fence to see a new member of our neighbor's alpaca family:
Momma and Daddy and new baby. I don't know her name...or maybe it's a he?  Anyway, super cute like all babies are and proof that life goes on and sometimes we have to just hang in there and smile.

10 comments:

Julia said...

HAPPY 47 ANNIVERSARY, you two. What a lovely bouquet and such a thoughtful husband. I guess you can't go wrong with Oreo cookies, lol...

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.AS we get older, we are losing a lot of old friends it seems. One by one, they slowly slip away.

You paint a pretty autumn picture with your words. I'm liking the cooler temperature too but the price we pay is the shorter daylight hours. My gardens and flower beds are getting a bit ragged but I'm OK with that. Any weeds that survived are turning into million of seeds so that I will have something to weed next year, lol. and so it goes.

Enjoy the rest of the week.
Hugs, Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

Lovely pictures. Yes, fall is on the way. Happy 47th anniversary. So sorry for the loss of your friend from church. Also sorry for the loss of your faithful Arnie earlier this month. Very hard. I hope that fall will bring you rest and renewal as you look forward to the future.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, Yaya!

Happy 47th wedding anniversary to you and Jack, dear friend! I'm happy to know that you had good reason to smile and be thankful in the wake of your most recent loss.
That lovely bouquet Jack surprised you with reminds me of a song that I mentioned earlier today an another blog: "Red Roses For A Blue Lady" by Vic Dana. I wonder if you remember it. Now as I read on, I learn that you attended the funeral of a friend today. Again I am sorry that you have needed to say so many sad goodbyes as of late. However, I believe as you do, that someday, one day, we will be reunited with our departed friends and loved ones, including our wonderful pets, and therefore we should rejoice knowing that they are in a better place, that they suffer no more, and that they are patiently waiting to welcome us home. I agree with you 100% that most days it seems like nothing it going right in this country or in this world. I believe we need to cling to our cherished friendships, like yours and mine, and search for peace, tranquility. beauty and hope wherever we may find it. It brought me peace to go on a virtual stroll with you through The Creepy Woods and see signs of nature transitioning into autumn color. It made me smile when we arrived at your neighbor's fence where the contented alpaca family greeted us. How true it is. If you go searching for the good in this world and in people, you will surely find it.

Once again, happy anniversary to you and Jack. I wish you many more. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

joeh said...

So that's a buckeye! I always thought they wore red and kicked butt at football.

acorn hollow said...

happy 47! I agree the world can come closing in but you are lucky to live in a place of peace and quiet among the trees
Cathy

jack69 said...

Love the photos. Sure does look like a peaceful place to wander around, that is except for the mosquitoes. OUCH But yep September arrived and methinks it seemed in a hurry.
Sherry & jack with the broke back. LOL

TheCrankyCrow said...

How I would love to wander in the Creepy Woods!! It looks like an enchanted place. And did someone say Halloween Oreos??? ;-) Happiest Belated Anniversary Wishes... You are one of the rare sort that truly are "in it" for life. What a beautiful thing... I have truly never seen a buckeye growing...nor the tree upon which they grow. One would thing we would have them here as we are not that incredibly different in growing zones (are we??) I just arrived at the lake...only my third time this summer...and fall is definitely moving in. Too chilly for open windows at this point.... ~Robin~

Susan Kane said...

Lovely walk through the woods is amazing. Such great photos.

CHERI said...

I was sooo happy to turn the calendar page to September!!! This a.m. here in the deep south it was even cool...so nice although didn't last long! Lovely flowers...Happy Anniversary to you both. So sorry I haven't commented lately. I have just been "off" lately...not sleeping (really terrible), busy (doing what I don't know), and being "down" due to Covid (numbers here are terrible), etc. etc. I need to perk up and find my happy again. Please come by to visit my blog...I've posted some lately and hope to do better in coming days and weeks. Maybe knowing FALL (my favorite season) is on it's way will do the trick!

Kay G. said...

Oh, happy anniversary!! Gotta keep on smiling, always!!