Sunday, June 28, 2020

Weekend Windup

Last week was a busy work week.  That's good, I'm not complaining. But I was happy to see Friday arrive.  I worked out at the Endoscopy unit all week.  No lunch or breaks during those days but we get by. So you can understand my happiness at leaving on Friday afternoon.  I ran out to the car as soon as I was done and gave a sigh of relief at home.  About an hour later I realized in my haste to escape, I left my phone in the unit.  Of course it's closed by that time and nobody will be there until Monday morning.  So I made a call to the hospital and they hooked me up with security and the nice gentleman met me over there and unlocked the building and I was able to retrieve the phone.  Crisis averted. How did we ever survive all our lives without a cell phone? Anyway, that was my beginning of the weekend.  Also this past week I was again bitten by some kind of bug..probably a spider...that left my leg a mess:
A bit swollen and a bit of a mess but I've been on an antibiotic and it's getting better.  I don't even remember getting bit but obviously it happened.  I'm blaming that on my bad memory with the phone...that's my story anyway!  Thankfully the rest of the weekend has been good.  We hit the opening Saturday for the Farmer's Market and scored some sourdough bread and some "Had to have" items:
This is going to  my sister's house.  It will look super cute on her front door.  It would be easier to pass up if the person running that booth wasn't a co-worker! Ok, maybe not but I know Midge will love it.
This little piece of fence will find a permanent home here at the Pines and I can decorate it for lots of holidays.  I didn't take a pic of the bread we bought but trust me, it was good!  I completed a little project in the kitchen. I have a couple of shelves that housed a ton of cookbooks.  I went through them and only kept a few and the rest are going to my Granddaughters who want some, then to work and any left over will go to Goodwill.  Feels good to get rid of stuff!
Bye-Bye books!  One other thing that happened over the weekend was replacing the top of the back deck gazebo. I had ordered one earlier in the year.  I was so excited to find one in red that I didn't realize it wasn't the right size! (I think I need to slow down a bit)  I reordered another one and it finally came yesterday.  We were getting ready to put it up when we saw it was missing the separate top part.  NO WAY!  Another call later and now I'm getting another one next week. (Hopefully) Here's a pic of the box"
It was pretty smashed up so I should have known something would be wrong...can't anything be easy these days? I know this is small compared to other stuff going on in the world but it's still a thorn in my side in my world! Ok, no more whining!  On to a happy thing.  As we plan for our celebration of life for Mom in a few weeks I found a book I gave her years ago and asked her to fill out.  I'm so glad she did.
It's filled with lots of information about her childhood, memories of her past and her life as a young mother and wife and then as an older adult and her challenges and her strong faith.  I'm going to copy some of the entries and frame them to put on the tables for everyone to read.  My Granddaughter gave a similar book to Jack and I to fill out and seeing how much I treasure Mom's I'm going to get hers done and hopefully she'll enjoy that.  The weekend has gone by fast and I will leave with just a few pics of some of my flowers:
Things are growing quickly in our wet and warm weather.  Oh, one last thing since I haven't blogged in a week.  The Goodyear Blimp made pass overs to several hospitals in this area.   It was a nice thing to do to thank the front line workers:
Hi and Bye! Have a good rest of the weekend!

8 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Oh your leg looks so sore I am so sorry. It has been a hard week for you. Mine was no where near what yours was but after working 18 hours I skipped to the car so happy to go home.
I am so happy you made the decision on Aug 1st happy for you but jealous at the same time.
I bet the bread was wonderful bread and tomatoes I could live on them in the summer.
hope your leg gets better.
cathy

jack69 said...

Most of us can imagine the feeling when you first realized you had forgotten the phone.
So sorry about the leg bite. wow looks bad, I hope it looks WORSE than it really is. The best to you. Enjoyed the photos and dialog.
You be safe
Sherry & jack

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

It's great to see an update from you, dear friend! With all you've been through in recent weeks, it doesn't surprise me that a few things slip your mind, like leaving your phone at work. I'm glad the problem was resolved easily. That's an awful looking inflammation on your leg, YaYa! I wonder what caused such a large red rash. For years after we first built this house in a new development adjacent to a wooded area and a farm, we dealt with stable flies and other biting and stinging insects every spring. It hasn't been bad lately. We also have small scorpions and black widow spiders here, and around 20 years ago one or the other bit me on the hand as I was pulling a bunch of Spanish moss down from a tree branch. I needed to soak my entire arm in ice water for a period of 36 hours or more and got no sleep all that time because the swelling and itching were so severe. I hope your rash is getting better by the hour. I like your attractive accents to welcome people to your house and to Midge's. What a wealth of information and preserved memories you will surely find in your mother's journal! You could write your own series of posts on the chapters of her life as did the other Kathleen for her mother Margaret Schneider. The Pines never looked lovelier. Enjoy those blooming flowers while your brief summer lasts.

Stay well and have a good week ahead, dear friend YaYa!

Prims By The Water said...

I had to take hubby to the doctor last week. Something bit him near his eye and it was swollen shut. So glad you were able to get your cell phone back. Yes we are lost without them now. Janice

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Yaya - so glad you were able to get your phone back. Wow, your leg looks painful. Hope it heals quickly. I love your decorative fence, and the welcome sign you got for your sister. That is great that you have some memories from your mom. I need to do something like that for my kids and grandkids. I hope your week goes well. Virtual hugs from UT!

betty said...

Ouch with your bite! It looks so painful! Glad you are on medication for it! How precious about the book your mom took the time to fill out. A legacy for you all!

betty

Kathy said...

I remember leaving my phone at work one day. I couldn't get back in and had to do without it overnight. We don't realize how much we depend on our phones until we don't have them.

Your leg looks awful! I hope the antibiotics are working and that it is much better now.

What a precious book your mom has left for you. I know you will treasure it forever.

Bryant Lisa said...

Happiness is all i see now, i was herpes sicker for 6 years but i thank God for directing my footsteps to Dr Emu, he gave me instructions and i followed and in 2 weeks i was completely cured using his medicine, I am now Herpes Negative Contact Dr Emu for more information, He also has other cure to other ailment, HIV AIDS, CANCER, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE, HEPATITIS B/C And also restore broken relationships such as Ex HUSBAND, Ex WIFE, BROKEN MARRIAGES, Any kind of Problem in any relationship can be restore back in 24hours, Just Email: emutemple@gmail.com  Whatsapp or call: +2347012841542