Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Whirlwind To Tornado

 My sister and her family were planning a trip that would have her daughter's family going to Hershey, PA and dropping Midge here with us for a visit.  It all depended on her getting into a dialysis unit here.  At first it was a no go because no unit had any openings.  Just when we were thinking it wasn't going to happen she got a call that there was an opening in Mansfield. That's about a 20 minute drive from us.  So it was all good and a go!  We had just gotten back from our whirlwind trip to Portland on Monday of last week and they were coming on Wednesday.  A text to let work know I wouldn't be available and then the "getting ready" mode for guests.  So the shopping, getting guest rooms ready, and a quick spruce up of the house was in motion.  We welcomed them all on Wednesday.  Thursday morning I had Midge in dialysis and her family headed off for Hershey.  Midge and I had a lovely visit that included some shopping, touring the new places downtown, resting, talking, laughing and just enjoying being together.  Then the storms came rolling in.  It was an unexpected Summer thunderstorm that brought hail and yes, a tornado just north of us.  We were lucky that our power stayed on and no damage was had here.  The next day I was sitting on our deck under the canvas canopy of our gazebo when I noticed it was riddled with holes! The hail had done the dirty deed! Thankfully I happen to have a spare canvas top so all is good!  The weather was a little chilly last week and a bit rainy.  Saturday bloomed sunny and nice though and so was Father's Day on Sunday.  Belated Happy Father's Day to everyone!  Our kids came for a cookout in the afternoon to celebrate with Jack and to see Midge.  Her kids came back here late on Sunday after their trip and Monday morning had everyone gone in a flash.  Whew...whirlwind to tornado to a super quiet house.  This week I'll be working Tuesday through Friday. I haven't done that many days in a row in a while so wish me luck. I said to my family this was the last time I'd do that and they just said " Oh sure...we'll see"...they know me too well! But I don't want to spend all Summer working and tomorrow is the first day of Summer so I hope everyone has plans for a fun vacation or just taking time to enjoy this season.  Here's a few pics of our week:

Midge brought her dog, Hope, with her and Hope just loves Jack!  Thankfully she's a really good dog and her and Annabelle get along fine.
Phil having a lively discussion with Jack.  He's such a fun guy to talk too...always makes us laugh!
Jackie and Jack along with my Granddaughter Summer, just enjoying Father's Day.
Summer and her Dad!  Love these two!
Our Grandkiddos,  Summer, Cameron, and Anthony.  We were really happy they could all be here on Sunday too.
I'm so glad Midge could be here to spend time with family and have a short get-a-way.  Usually I take more photos of things but I was busy running around and also I didn't get any pics of  Midge's kids when they were here.  I'm a slacker!  Hopefully we'll be getting together again soon and I'll do better with pics.  For now I'm back in the working mode that includes actual work at the hospital but also working in my garden of "weeding"!  It's a never ending battle but it's very satisfying to see the results.
My roses seem to be doing well and putting on a lovely show!  So welcome Summer! Here's hoping for decent weather that's not too hot or humid and hopefully no more whirlwinds and tornados! 


8 comments:

Lux G. said...


Sorry about your canopy. But I'm glad you've been spared from further damage. Looks like a fine and fun day for everyone still.

acorn hollow said...

Wow that is some amazing weather!mostly rain here.
Glad your trip was a good one and your visit with your sister was able to happen.
Looks like a lovely Father's day .
Working that much does not sound like retirement. but i am sure the money comes in handy.
Have a wonderful week
Cathy

Kay G. said...

Oh, I am glad that tornado missed you! Your roses are beautiful. You are always so busy, it must be what keeps you so young! Your grandchildren have grown up so beautifully. You must be very proud. Take care! xx

jack69 said...

Go ahead, have a great Summer. Sorry to hear about the hail, hail can be nasty.... enjoyed the pictures. Good to know other start juggling and handle life with a smile.
Love from down this way. BTW we too enjoy the Hershey area. Hopw to see it this summer. LOL
making half a smile...
Sherry & jack (thanks for the comments on the Shipslog.)

TheCrankyCrow said...

Whew. You exhaust me just with the telling LOL. Methinks it is you who is the whirlwind...of energy! I'd be down for the count just after your Portland run. Yikes on the storm - I can see the hail holes in the canopy. That's forceful. No rain here yet. So weird - places just 15-20 minutes from us got quite a bit but not us. And we are now in the hot, humid, stickies with highs hovering around 90º. The forecast is saying a chance of rain for the weekend...fingers crossed. Then a dramatic cooldown. That's the weather in Nod I guess. Glad to hear your brother was successful in selling...thought, though, that his plan was to stay in Nokomis and build. (Or did I dream that...entirely possible as I have been having some very realistic and strange dreams of late.) Good luck wit the work schedule this week. ~Robin~

Prims By The Water said...

Happy belated Father's Day to Jack! WOW I had heard there were tornados in the Sandusky area but not that close to you. Michigan had one close to the Ohio border so thankfully we missed it. Was always told with hail there could be a possible tornado, and so glad none touched down at your place. Good luck at work. That is whirlwnd in itself. Janice

Julia said...

I'm so glad that you and Midge could get together despite having to use the dialysis machine and I'm glad that the tornado missed you. Sorry about your gazebo canopy but lucky that you had a spare one.
Wow, those roses are so vibrant and pretty. Are they from your garden? I don't recall ever seeing them.

I've been weeding nonstop every spare minute that I can and I'm still so behind as the weeds are growing at lightning speed with all the rain we've had. It's been challenging gardening this year. I can hardly walk by the end of the day. lol.

Take care and don't overdo it at work.
Happy Belated Father's Day to Jack.
Hugs, Julia

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad that Midge could come for a visit. Your family Father's Day celebration sounds nice. We have had a cool and rainy summer season here so far. I hope you get some time off this summer. See you again soon!