Monday, October 23, 2017

Home Again

We left Friday morning for a quick trip to Chicago to see Mom and Midge.  The weather was really nice until Sunday when the rains came, but we still managed to have a good time!  Midge has been trying to sell her home since July.  No nibbles or anything and frankly she has been pretty confused as to why it wasn't selling since many homes priced higher and not done as nicely as hers have sold quicker.  Anyway, I assured her we would get it sold this weekend.
So Midge, Mom and I put on our witches thinking caps and came up with a plan.  It involved some staging,  cookie making, and just plain old magic.  Open house on Sunday went well and as of this morning her house was sold...yep, never underestimate the power of a pointy hat!
Saturday all of us went to the cute little town of Geneva, Illinois to enjoy the beautiful day and really nice shops.   However, the first place we stopped at was a resale shop in an old church.  We all found some goodies we couldn't pass up but my real find was a crock pot just like the one I got when Jack and I were married 43 years ago!  Exactly the same!
I used my crock pot for all those years and even did a blog post about it when it finally died because I was so sad.  Then I spotted this and couldn't believe my luck! New crock pots heat way too high but this one always cooked perfectly and tomorrow I'll be trying it out.  It even had the cookbook with it!  Doesn't take much to make me happy!   We enjoyed the day and had a lovely lunch at a place called "The Seven Dwarfs".   Not sure why it had that name but the service was great, the food was really good...homemade soup to die for...and good prices.  Not a dwarf or Snow White in sight but I think we'll go back there again.  Basically we were just going to visit my Mom and Jack always brings some of his therapy equipment and gives her some good Chiropractic treatment. 
I think for 91 years young she looks great but she was saying that it's hard not to be able to do what she did years ago.  She said "I'm just not the same person I once was"   Boy do I get that.  Aging isn't for the weak and it's frustrating to not be able to hear so great, or walk too fast, or  having to use a walker if you're going to be out for a longer stroll, or remember everything.  I felt bad that there was really nothing to do to help all that but hopefully we'll have her with us for many more years and they will be years she'll also enjoy, not just endure.  There was a time when Mom, Midge and I would stay up all hours talking and laughing.  Now we're lucky to hit 10 pm but we still managed to laugh a lot and reminisce about our childhood and our family times.  It was a good visit and today we headed out in the rainy morning and had the rain follow us all the way home.  It's good to be home again but it's hard to say goodbye.  Take care Mommo, we love you!  See you soon!

6 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, YaYa!

Welcome back to Ohio, Ashland, dear friend! I'm sorry the rain followed you all the way home, but wait, that's a blessing, isn't it? You were recently complaining about the lack of rain in the vicinity of The Pines, correct?

I make this same observation year after year. Your dear mother looks fabulous and youthful. I'm so glad to learn that you had a nice visit with her and sister Midge. Seems you three witches cooked up some powerful black magic to be able to sell Midge's house as soon as you put your collective minds to it. I'm happy to hear it. Staging a home is really important and I think that must have done the trick.

I am delighted that you found a crock pot like the one you used to own. I know you will get plenty of use out of it and make many wonderful meals for the family including Chubbsie. I am pleased to know you had a lovely lunch at "The Seven Dwarfs" and that your waiter wasn't Grumpy. :)

Thank you for bringing us the highlights of your trip to Chicago and especially for showing us the latest pictures of your dear mother. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend YaYa!

gin said...

I Love seeing your mom in pictures! That was a quick trip. And gosh, how did you sell that house in one day??? Your sister must think you're super woman for sure. Glad y'all are back safe and sound.

joeh said...

That cookie smell trick works in real estate often.

betty said...

Congrats on your sister's house selling!! Big relief I would imagine! Your mom, I saw it all the time, but your mom looks great for 91 years old! Seemed like a very nice weekend and a win-win with the crock pot!

betty

acorn hollow said...

Love the three witches such a great picture. so does that mean your mom will be moving also?
sounds like such a fun time.
Cathy

Julia said...

I love the witch photo and I love your kind of which craft. Congratulations on successfully selling your mom's house. It must have been a bittersweet moment.

You mom is such a trooper, it's always nice seeing her beautiful smile. I'm sure she enjoyed your visit very much.

Hugs, Julia