Monday, March 17, 2014

Just A Bit Green

Not green around the "gills" or green with envy.  Just a bit green for St. Paddy's Day. I just learned that it's spelled "Paddy", not "Patty" for St. Patrick's Day.  "Patty" is a girl...aren't you glad I shared that wisdom? Well, you all know I don't have a speck of Irish in me...Greek and German...but Jack has some and to celebrate I usually make the traditional corned beef.  This year was no exception.
 The meat was tender and very good.  Some potatoes....carrots would have brightened the whole thing up but I don't like cooked carrots!  I also made cabbage but for some reason forgot to click a pic....hmmm...maybe because I was eating instead??  I also made some Irish soda bread:
I took a walk in the Creepy Woods with Eddy to see if I could spy a Leprechaun or  perhaps a pot of gold.  No such luck for this unlucky Greek....I didn't even wear anything green today. (wasn't I suppose to get pinched or something?)  I did see a shot of the Chicago river turned green.  That makes me a bit homesick.  Maybe next year I should tint our creek green! (of course this year it's still frozen) I hope everyone had a good day filled with yummy Irish food, Irish music, Irish proverbs, and maybe a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal...It's magically delicious...sort of like my Irish dish for today!   

 

10 comments:

Shady Del Knight said...

They're Always After Me Lucky Charms!

Hello, dear YaYa, and happy St. Paddy's to ya. Shamus O'Shady here. Thank you for letting me know it's Paddy rather than Patty because I've been getting it wrong all this time. Shame on Shamus!

I'll have you know that Mrs. O'Shady made us corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and corn bread for dinner this evening.

You might not have worn green today but I predict that in the very near future the Creepy Woods and your entire property will be proudly displaying the green.

I bid you a good night, dear friend YaYa, and a safe and happy Tuesday!

karen said...

I'm not Irish either, and I had no green anything to wear today - lucky I work at home and didn't have to go anywhere! Your dinner looked lovely. I love Irish Soda Bread. The Creepy Woods are going to be in full bloom before much longer - I envy you that!

Hilary said...

Yum.. you go all out. I did wear green today but that was about it.

selvageedge said...

I have lots of Irish in my genes, but no cabbage in my kitchen. :( Looks like a yummy corned beef. That is something I have never made. Maybe I'll try that some day. Thanks for being inspirational.

Kim said...

I've got Irish blood running through my veins. No corned beef and cabbage though. I did have a green beverage

Sweet Tea said...

I used "Irish Spring" soap when I showered - does that count? I'd say you did a great job celebrating, especially for a Greek/German gal!

Stacy said...

I like the corned beef dinner too. We had that on Sunday.

Donna said...

Dinner looks delish, but lasagna was better! Yum! Larry story here. Tell you tomorrow and thanks!

Donna said...

Ps. That Shady.....SO funny!!!

Hope said...

delicious! no green here. I'll have to wait another month before seeing any green outside. i was wondering about your creepy woods just yesterday when i was out for my walk. :) sounds like you had a good St. Paddy's day. take care!